Hogwarts in Seventh Year's Journal|
[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 7 most recent journal entries recorded in
Hogwarts in Seventh Year's LiveJournal:
|Friday, August 3rd, 2007|
So, realising of course that it's been an insane week all around, anybody want to suggest a start date? (Or, you know, a move to a different server, if that's in the cards. Whatever.)
|Thursday, July 26th, 2007|
|Wednesday, July 25th, 2007|
So this community has been in existance for roughly 72 hours and I've already had two requests to join from journals that are clearly not characters journals, and clearly not to be a part of this game.
I'm not going to make it a requirement, because I think that's silly, but if you want to guarantee that I'm going to realize it's you when you request to join, please at least make sure your journal looks like a character journal, or if you're really worried make your LJ name "dh_something".
That seems to be what most people are doing, I know, but it is BY NO MEANS required.
However, given the spamming we're already getting, if you're worried, that's a failsafe way of ensuring I don't reject your request to join the community. I will check the userinfo so long as I've had my coffee that morning, though, so it should be OK, so long as it's obvious it's for a character I've approved.
...people are weird, that's all I have to say. Current Mood: confused
|Monday, July 23rd, 2007|
So... I finished the book yesterday and started an RPG roughly 4 hours later. And somehow people are finding out about it, despite me doing absolutely NO publicity. NONE.
As you can see, not a huge amount of planning has gone into this, and I'm mostly making this up on the fly. I do have a lot of experience running LJ games (several of which have been quite successful) so I do know what I'm doing...
...But I'm sure the rest of you guys have things you want to see, or ideas.
I also have to admit that I haven't played in a Harry Potter game since roughly around the time Goblet of Fire came out, so I'm somewhat inexperienced in the fandom. If I make any boo-boos, I hope people will tell me in a friendly way *coughs*
So I have a couple of questions for you!1. Would you like to see original characters in this game?
I'm very torn about this, myself. Personally I shudder at the thought of having to wade through magickal sparkly Mary Sues to get at the gems, but I recognize that not everyone likes playing canon characters exclusively like I do. Not only that, but sadly, so many characters have graduated or left (or died) that the existing cast is a bit smaller than the average Harry Potter game, even the 7th year ones, because I'm restricting the action to Hogwarts itself.
Without original characters, we won't have any characters younger than 6th year (hardly any, anyway), and an overabundance of Gryffindors. So what do you guys think? Is it worth the threat of Mary Sues?2. How do we want to handle the journals?
In my experience, journals were used as a sort of magical network of paper livejournals, as well as for sending owls and private messages. Since we're confining the action to Hogwarts, few messages will be sent by owl, but notes can still be passed, or left for each other in common rooms and such. So far all I've really allowed are the owls and notes, but do we want to expand it to include the magical livejournal network?
I know that can allow for lots of fun snark and such, but it could also be a very powerful method for sending messages that just doesn't exist in the books. If Neville can just bring his book with him to the Room of Requirement and keep in contact with the rest of the DA, why bother with coins?3. Does anyone have ideas for things they want included in the game?
Just surprise me, toss ideas out and brainstorm. You know the general premise, of course. But not every event has to be bad - is the Quiddich Cup being played this year? I know that focus will probably shift away from Quiddich, but should they even try? What about house points, do they matter anymore? Anything else you guys want to discuss?
It looks like we're going to have 4-5 players by the end of the week, so I think people can start any time. For the record, I did get off my ass and make an email address and AIM account for you people to use. So here's my contact information:
AIM: DH SeverusEDITED!
What do people think about Draco being included? It seemed like he might not have been at Hogwarts this year either, but I think it's possible that he could have been there, but pulled out at times to be at home with his parents and Voldie. I haven't looked to see whether the times that he was seen at home might have been only during the summer and Christmas.
Personally unless there's major contradictions, I'm inclined to say he was at Hogwarts. Does anyone have strong feelings either way?HAHAHA MORE EDITS
5. What do you guys think about a character cap?
Wondering what's reasonable. I've experimented with different options over the years, and I found that forcing a wait time between character pickups is pretty much mandatory, but I've never enforced a maximum number of characters. I know that different people can handle different numbers of pups, but when a person has 8 characters and then RL forces them out of the game it can be a major disruption. I'm thinking of capping it at 2 or 3. Any thoughts? Current Mood: curious
|Sunday, July 22nd, 2007|
To apply for the game, make a comment below. Include the following information:Application
History & Personality: (include a very brief thumbnail sketch of the character)
Family: (again brief, anything known about the character's family - mostly looking for their parents names, and the purity of the character's blood)
Year or Staff Position:
RP Sample: (4-5 paragraphs of a sample RP. Be sure to show off your grasp of the character's personality, as well as your ability to write. The RP doesn't have to be canon for the game, but should reflect the kind of thing you would be doing in the game. Be sure to write in 3rd person past tense)List of Taken Characters
The following characters are currently taken and not available to be applied for:( The ListCollapse )
Let me put out a shout-out to people willing to play professors! Professors are awesome, and Snape needs people to hang out with who aren't minors. Come on, McGonnagal kicked royal butt in the book! Come play staff - we have cookies!
- What kinds of characters can I apply for? You have no list!
Yes, I'm lazy, so there's no list. You can apply for any character who was attending or working at Hogwarts during the 7th book. That means NO Harry, Ron or Hermione! You can't apply for any Death Eaters, either, so no Carrows. The Carrows and Snape will be moderator-controlled, but anyone else is fair game.
- Can I apply for an original character?
No, not at the moment. If I find that the majority of the characters available are taken and there's still lots of interest, I may allow original characters on a limited basis. For now, there are still lots of characters who have little canon. I'm sure if none of the big stars are available, there's someone for you to play.
I'm trying to make this nice and streamlined and simple. If you have any questions or require clarification about the rules, please read the FAQ first and then if your question isn't answered, ask your question in the FAQ post.
I hope I don't have to make basic etiquette rules. If you aren't nice and act like a jackass, I will give you as many strikes as I feel you deserve depending on the infraction. If you refuse to act like a decent human being, you get the boot. Period.Application Rules
- Please don't apply if you are underage. This is an ADULT ONLY game, and will have stuff that people who are over age will not want to play with people who are under age. Sorry, I'm sure you're a wonderful roleplayer. Please wait a few years.
- Please apply before you start to play, and wait for the moderator (me) to confirm your application before you attempt to join the community.
- You may maintain up to three characters, and you must wait at least one month between applications. If I don't feel that you're being active with your existing characters, I will reject any applications for new ones, no matter how brilliant.
- After you receive your confirmation, make a journal for the exclusive use of the game, and join the community with it.
- Also, include a copy of your application (without the RP sample) in the user info of your journal. It's for my reference later, and because I said so.
- Please friend all of the other journals in the game. The list can be found in the application post.
Good Human Decency Rules
- Scenes can be played out in IM or on the community itself.
- The journals can be used as a personal journal for your character if you wish. It is a physical, magical diary, and those who want to read it will have to physically steal it to do so. You can also use the journal to convey messages sent by passing notes, by owl, or by Galleon (in the case of the DA).
- Regardless of where they take place, all scenes should be in 3rd person, past tense, just like your application.
- Please do your best to keep your posts reasonably well-written. USE SPELL CHECK. I don't expect perfection, but laziness makes you look like you don't give a crap.
- If you do use IM, edit out the usernames and place breaks between each paragraph, then post it to the community.
- Please try to finish scenes within a timely fashion. There's nothing more annoying than being left stuck for 3 weeks on a scene that's not going anywhere, or where the other person has disappeared.
- Include the following information in the header of the post and place everything else under an LJ-cut:
Timeline: (any notes a person might need to figure out when it takes place, like "Immediately after the fight in the common room between Seamus and Neville")
Status: (Open to other characters, closed, and completed)
Warnings: (Please update this as things crop up. I do not want to be shocked by a sex scene that wasn't mentioned in the warnings)
- If you have a question about anything in the game, post to the FAQ post. If the question is private, such as an issue with a player, or anything else you don't want publically known, please email me at email@example.com. If you need to discuss something with me in real-time, you may AIM me at DH Severus as well.
- If you're getting bored with the game, or RL things crop up, or whatever, please let me know you're going on a hiatus. If a hiatus lasts longer than a month without contact from you, your character will be recycled and become available to new applicants. However, new applicants will have to live with anything you've established with your character, such as relationships.
- This game is friendly to any sort of ship, and I don't want to see shipping wars here. I also don't want to see all semblance of plot disappear down the gutter, so be warned. If I think ALL you care about is the sex, you may find yourself embroiled in serious, evil, bloody plot. But if you carry the plot and want to have lots of wild monkey sex on the side... don't worry, I'll probably be right there with you doing the same thing.
- This is an adult game, with sex, drugs, violence and probably rock and roll. If I find out you're underage, I will banninate you. Sorry, it's nothing personal.
- Um. Have fun? I may be playing Snape, but I really am nice. Enjoy yourselves.